Friday 23 August 2013

Photo sharing: Some of my favourite fatty delights in images

 A favourite light meal: some sort of rich Swiss raw milk cheese, a few pieces of some kind of hearty artisanal hard cured meat (in this picture it is a German pork shoulder thing), with juicy green Italian olives and whatever vibrant green organic salady things I can source. This lucky day I found wild asparagus at the markets...


This is a classic favourite: wild salmon filets, cut into big chunks, gently sautéed at low heat in coconut oil with bok choy and turmeric and black pepper and a sprinkle of seaweed. I throw the garlic in last, so as not to kill off all the antioxidants in it, then garnish with sliced avocado and shredded fresh coriander (cilantro).


Salmon heads were a revelation to me the first time I thought of asking for them at a fish shop. They cost a pittance and have LARGE amounts of primo salmon meat on them, massive wads of Omega 3 fat, plus riches of Vitamin A, K2,  D, collagen and calcium in the brains, eyes and bones which all completely dissolve after a few hours of boiling. I usually add bay leaves, pepper, dulce or kombu seaweed, turmeric, an onion and garlic.  This makes for the most extraordinary anti-inflammatory stock that is lovely to drink on its own, or amazing to use to cook vegetables in.

 
This is a really fun fatty snack. Just tear up some curly kale leaves and lay slices of Emmenthal cheese over them then stick it under the grill for 30 seconds. Voila! Lipidy phytochemical lusciousness in under a minute....








Sprouted Buckwheat and Almond Sourdough Pancakes with Clotted Cream and Warmed Berries

This was taken before I went so low carb. But I wouldn't rule it out as a rare post-high-level-physical-activity treat on a day when I had not eaten much other carbohydrate. These are fresh raspberries, blackberries and blueberries that I have warmed in a pan until they are just starting to release a little juice. The white stuff is organic clotted cream (heaven, in other words).
The pancake is as follows:

- 2 tablespoons of sprouted buckwheat and almond flour. I like the Living Intentions product, but it is hard to source outside the US, unless one is prepared to pay exhorbitant postage for it (as I have been known to do...). It is not too hard to make one's own sprouted flours, however. Just soak the buckwheat and nuts for a day or two, drain, then dehydrate in a food dehydrator. There are special flour mill machines, but I don't have one. I just pass it through the slow juicer or the blender.

Once I have the sprouted flour I pour a little warm water over it and add some of my home-made kefir (either milk of coconut water versions work fine). Because kefir is full of various wild-yeast strains, it actually makes a damn fine sourdough base. I leave the flour in this mix, covered in a warm place, and lo and behold, after a day or so there is real deal sourdough puffing up with CO2.

To this I add:
-2 eggs and
-50 grams of melted butter.

The batter is quite runny, but I just pour small pikelet size pancakes into a pan with butter in it and let them cook at very low heat. Just a few minutes on each side and they are done. Minimal carbohydrate, lots of fibre, plenty of sumptuous saturated fat, anti-digestive enzymes nicely deactivated, and truly comfortingly magnificent on a cold day....Cream is essential, berries optional. These also work well with savoury things - a smear of butter and some olive tapenade, par exemple....

No comments:

Post a Comment